They are currently enjoying a boom in sales and popularity with millions sold worldwide every year, but did you know your vibrator could be ruining your health?
According to the experts, because sex toys are often made from low-grade materials and plastics, they can have a negative health effect on people.
In a study around plastic, consumer watchdog, Choice Australia, found that poor quality plastics may be endocrine disruptors.
This means that they can mimic the body’s natural hormones and cause a whole host of health problems – from infertility to breast cancer.
‘There is… growing scientific evidence that even at these lower levels of exposure, phthalates and BPA may be causing problems such as infertility, obesity, breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease and diabetes,’ Choice reported.
‘…The plastics industry has been fighting off tighter regulation’.
According to the consumer watchdog, plastics may contain things like Bisphenol A, phtalates, PVC and BPA – these softeners make plastic products more flexible.
Choice reported that phtalates are of ‘concern’ – many sex toys with jelly-like plastic sheaths are made from phtalates.
Programme Manager in Industrial Design at RMIT University in Melbourne, Dr Judith Glover, told whimn.com.au that ‘by calling vibrators “novelty toys”, the manufacturers of sex toys are sidestepping regulation of their safety by our Therapeutic Goods Administration’.
‘Unfortunately, this means there is an enormous volume of cheap vibrators coming into Australia from China and most are made from poor quality plastics loaded with unhealthy chemicals,’ she said.
Doctors also state that women need to take care when choosing a vibrator, in order to minimise the risk of contracting infection.
So how can you make sure that the vibrator you buy isn’t going to cause you health problems?
First up, take a look at the price – often cheaper models are made from cheaper plastics.
Next, try to opt for non-porous materials such as hard plastic, silicone or metal. These are easier to clean and don’t let bacteria or dirt get stuck in the surface.
Finally, where possible buy from a trusted company. Often the labels which promise things that are too good to be true are.
- Thinking Outside The Swing: Unconventional Ways to Use Sex Swings That Gives Out-of-this-World Pleasure! - January 11, 2019
- 4 Unique Butt Plugs You Haven’t Heard About! - January 10, 2019
- 7 Ways To Use A Penis Plug Like a Pro - January 4, 2019
- Complete Buying Guide to Finding the Right Anal Beads - December 30, 2018
- Male Chastity Device: Finding The Right Fit - December 29, 2018
- Kegel Exercises | Does It Tighten Your Vagina After Childbirth? - December 20, 2018
- Why Some Sex Toys Can Be Harmful - October 26, 2018
- Sex Toys for Tweens - October 20, 2018
- Beginner’s Guide to Sex Toys - October 15, 2018
- What are the various sex toys? - October 4, 2018