Whether you’re a naughty kinkster who wants to experiment with fetishes or you simply want to improve masturbation and sex for you or your partner, sex toys can expand your horizons and enhance your pleasure. But where should you start? Check out this guide on choosing the right sex toys and tools for you!
What Sex Toys Are Available in the Market
When it comes to sex toys and accessories for men and women, the choices are practically endless! Currently, the sex toy market is at its peak. Plus, singles and couples are becoming increasingly more interested in experimenting with all sorts of adult toys to improve their sex life. That’s why most online stores or brick-and-mortar sex shops carry thousands of different products that meet everyone’s needs and desires!
Types of Toys
Here’s a list of the most common sex toys on the market today:
- Vibrators — These toys use vibration to stimulate the genitals and other erogenous zones. Popular choices include bullet vibrators, magic wands, vibrating dildos, etc.
- Dildos — Dildos provide stimulation through penetration. You can insert a dildo into your vagina, mouth, or anus.
- Anal toys — Butt plugs, anal dildos, prostate massagers, anal beads, and similar are fantastic toys for people who love anal play.
- Cock rings — Penis rings can block the blood from leaving an erect penis. This increases the duration and quality of an erection. They can also help men with erectile dysfunction.
- Male masturbators — These toys include male masturbation sleeves, strokers, artificial vaginas, hands-free masturbators, and more.
- Strap-on harnesses — Strap-on harnesses hold dildos or sex toys against the body and are used for penetration.
- Pumps — Vacuum pumps can generate suction around the penis, nipples, vulva, and clitoris. They enhance pleasure by driving the blood flow to those sensitive areas.
- Packers — Packers replicate the look of a flaccid penis and provide a visible bulge underneath pants or underwear. These toys are usually worn by LGBTQ people for gender identification.
- Urethral toys — Toys like penis plugs can stimulate the urethra when inserted.
- Sex dolls — Sex dolls are human-like dolls designed for penetration and other sexual uses.
- Accessories — There are many different types of accessories. That includes lube, cuffs, nipple clamps, restraints, bondage gear, mouth gags, balms, supplements, costumes, lingerie, etc.
Things to Consider
There are several essential rules to follow when choosing your first toy. Namely, you should get familiar with sex toy materials before your purchase. That includes medical-grade silicone, stainless steel, glass, and similar. Those materials are body-safe and non-porous, meaning that they do not harvest bacteria. Other substances, like jelly (thermoplastic elastomer), could absorb bacteria, which makes them unsafe. Also, you should always use a lubricant. Just make sure that your lube is compatible with the material of the toy.
After that, consider the cost. Most quality sex toys are affordable. However, if you don’t want to buy toys separately, you could purchase them in kits. Anal training kits, for example, are a popular option. They provide toys of different sizes and shapes in one package.
What’s more, you should think about whether or not your new toy is easy to clean and maintain. If you want something that’s discrete and easy to store, a 12-inch monster dildo may not be the best choice. Finally, those who are coupled should discuss sex toys before bringing them into the bedroom. Not all people are comfortable with sex toys. That’s why it’s best to get consent from your partner.
Vibrating or Not?
Almost every sex toy has a vibrating version! That includes vibrating cock rings, butt plugs, dildos, penis plugs, anal beads, etc. Vibration is a highly effective way to enhance stimulation, and many people enjoy it.
Usually, such toys offer multiple vibration modes. Various vibration patterns can deliver unique sensations that you won’t be able to feel through natural stimulation. Moreover, vibrating toys work wonders for internal and external stimulation. They can greatly intensify your orgasm and even help people who have difficulties in reaching climax.
However, not everyone enjoys vibrating toys. Since they contain internal vibrating motors, they are a bit heavier and slightly less flexible. Additionally, the vibrations can feel unpleasant to some people who are highly sensitive. If overused, these toys can desensitize your response to natural clitoral stimulation or similar.
Should You Share Toys With Your Partner?
In general, sharing sex toys made of quality materials should be safe. Yet, it can be dangerous if you neglect to wash and clean the toy before sharing it. What’s more, sharing toys made of porous materials like jelly or TPE is proven to be unsafe.
In fact, a study from 2014 found that nearly 40% of rabbit vibrators made of TPE contained HPV after a single use (vaginal insertion). The vibrators were cleaned with water and sex toy cleaner but still tested positive for human papillomavirus. When the same test was performed on soft silicone toys, no traces of HPV were found.
Therefore, if you have to share toys, avoid porous materials like jelly. To further avoid STI risks, you and your partner should get tested. Then, you could share toys but remember to use condoms on them to minimize the risks. Also, avoid swapping holes when you use your toy. Keep designated toys for your vagina and anus or use condoms after washing them to stay safe.
What Are You Waiting For?
Finally, the only way to find out about sex toys is through experimentation. Since sex toys are affordable and readily available, the best advice we can give you is to order a few that you’re interested in. You could start with a vibrator, butt plug, cock ring, dildo, etc. It’s also not a bad idea to stock up on accessories like lingerie, lubricant, cuffs, and so on. If you’re feeling curious, you truly have nothing to lose!
To sum up, sex toys feel incredible, and they can give you some unforgettable experiences during your bedroom adventures. So order some sex toys today and have fun!